Using mysql 3.23.53, i have a table with approx 1.000.000 records, and only 3 columns. One of these (called 'value') is usually between 50 and 150 characters, but occasionally jumps to a current maximum of 570 characters, so I figured I had to go for the TEXT type.

now I tried to add an index on this column. Using length 150 does not work : mysql just bails out pretending everything went fine, but there's no index to be seen. Using length 100 does create the index, but afterwards any query on that column will return 0 results. So the index is bogus (although it is 27MB !)

I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade to 4.x, since I'm afraid other stuff will break.

can anyone help me out here ?

thanks !