Why not try to create a full text index on the column?

-----Original Message-----
From: jeroen clarysse
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 4/16/04 9:00 AM
Subject: Need help with indexing !

Using mysql 3.23.53, i have a table with approx 1.000.000 records, and
only 3 columns. One of these (called 'value') is usually between 50 and
150 characters, but occasionally jumps to a current maximum of 570
characters, so I figured I had to go for the TEXT type.

now I tried to add an index on this column. Using length 150 does not
work : mysql just bails out pretending everything went fine, but
there's no index to be seen. Using length 100 does create the index,
but afterwards any query on that column will return 0 results. So the
index is bogus (although it is 27MB !)

I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade to 4.x, since I'm afraid other stuff
will break.

can anyone help me out here ?

thanks !