I am talking a PHP+MySQL course at my local community college and since this is the first time the course is being offered there are some teething problems with the curriculum. I am posting this query at the request of the instructor.

We are using a Linux Server and each Student has their own set of directories on the Server. The MySQL Databases are created on local PCs and then FTP'ed to the user's directory on the server. The files get User=RW and Group/World=R permissions due to the FTP being used having no way to set some other set of default Permissions and no way to update them once uploaded. The Databases are made "known" to MySQL by using a Softlink in the MySQL data folder that points to the actual copy in the user's directory. We would like to avoid the need to constantly go in and update/correct the permissions to G/W=RW after each upload of new copies of the Database Folder or 3 Files that comprise a database.

Now that the background has been covered, here is my question.

Since to gain access to a Database from the PHP Code, a mysql login request is required, it seems to me that this login can provide the MySQL Server the information needed to switch to the respective user's UID when accessing the database for update (as opposed to just read) purposes (thus getting RW Permission to the files). Does MySQL have the setuid authority so it can do so (and if so, does there code exist there to do so)? If not, is there some other way to allow Update Access to the respective databases based on the Login UserID other than go Group/World Writable on the 3 files that comprise the database?

Thank you.