Don't quote me on this but.... I don't think it makes a difference what
datatypes you use with multiple languages (I never even considered it with
English, Japanese and Korean) as long as the field is large enough to handle
the multiple bytes. You might wish to check out the Unicode support pages of
the manual.  I also vaguely remember that when using an index on a multibyte
column you have to be careful.  Why - I can't remember (maybe it was for an
older version) but you might wish to research it.

Quote from manual under Unicode support:
To save space with UTF8, use VARCHAR instead of CHAR. Otherwise, MySQL has
to reserve 30 bytes for a CHAR(10) CHARACTER SET utf8 column, because that's
the maximum possible length.

"Venkatesh Madurai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hello !
>
> I am not very sure about this, and so, this could be viewed as a dumb
newbie question.

> I need to add various data in different languages into mysql. The data
includes characters such as "A`WmdV²", "JÆÁõu, ÁÈøÓ uÁÔ¯, ÃnõÚ,
ö£õ´¯õÚ,£¯ÚØÓ" , etc.

> Later, on a web page, people would search for those strings by typing the
search queries using the relevant fonts, and the page would search from the
database.

> I tried to use varchar, and it seemed to work. But i am not sure what all
column types can i possibly use? I just need indexes on some columns
(doesn't have to be primary or unique).