I'm trying to configure a JDBC realm using a third party database and it
seems they are using the mysql password command to store their passwords.  I
read in the docs:

"When a standard realm authenticates by retrieving the stored password and
comparing it with the value presented by the user, you can select digested
passwords by specifying the digest attribute on your <Realm> element. The
value for this attribute must be one of the digest algorithms supported by
the java.security.MessageDigest class (SHA, MD2, or MD5). When you select
this option, the contents of the password that is stored in the Realm must
be the cleartext version of the password, as digested by the specified
algorithm."

Does this mean to use this you must store clear text passwords in your
database?  Is there anyway around it?  It may be a show-stopper for this
project if not.

Thanks,
-Mark