At 20:38 -0700 4/21/04, John Mistler wrote:
I could be much clearer:

I understand the backtick character, when used on either side of a string
i.e. `Hello there` will allow the string to be accessed as one unit, even
though there is a space in it.  Also, it will allow for `Hello-there` to be
accessed as one unit.  What I am wondering is, will the backtick allow for
all of the other non-alphanumeric characters such as `Hello>there` and
`Hello/there` and `Hello*there` to be accessed as one unit.  Or will some of
these characters cause an error?  I can't find a solid answer on-line or in
the manual.

Sorry for the ambiguity. Thanks,

John

I don't see what this has to do with variables, which you referred to in the original message (below). Also, it's still unclear what is the context in which you want to use backticks.

I'm going to guess that what you're asking about is how to quote identifiers
in SQL statements.  If that's the case, then you want to read the section
in the MySQL manual that discusses legal identifiers:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Legal_names.html

If that's not what you're asking about, my apologies.