4.0.18 does not support Unicode. The JDBC driver tries to set the UNICODE
charset but can't because this mysql version cannot store Unicode data as a
charset. If you used 4.1.1, which is alpha it supports the charset and
correlations.

My suggestion is this. Store the blobs on NAS as UNICODE text. mySQL is now
used a lookups to the blob data in a particular even hashed directory
structure on the NAS device that holds the UTF-8 or UCS data.

If this is not available to you, then use 4.1.1 and don't use subselects,
that is the most unstable portion of this branch.