From: "Anders Karlsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> And by the way, in a UNION, there is no need to put parenteses around
> the unioned queries in the general case. So
>  (SELECT .....) UNION (SELECT....) [ORDER BY ....]
> Is the same as
> SELECT ..... UNION SELECT.... [ORDER BY ....]
> I say in the general case, as there are cases when the parenteses are
> required, in particular when the individual
> SELECT is followed by a MySQL specific construct or keyword. If I
> remember things correctly for example,
> this
>  (SELECT .... ORDER BY...) UNION (SELECT... ORDER BY...) [ORDER BY ....]
> will require the parenteseses, but this construct is a MySQL extension
> to the standard (an ORDER BY

SELECT ..... UNION SELECT.... [ORDER BY ....] is actually ambiguous IMHO. Is
the last (optional) ORDER BY part of the SELECT or the UNION?

Maybe that's why a (SELECT...) ORDER BY... is interpreted as a UNION
(without the UNION keyword).

Anyway, this behaviour is not documented, so I wouldn't rely on it.
Also, I can't see the point of using it in any real life situation, so let's
move on with more urgent matters: weekend ;-)

Regards, Jigal.