On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:06:45PM -0400, Brent Baisley wrote:
> Basically, you can't, it's a limitation of the InnoDB format. If you
> change the table type to MyISAM, that query would be almost
> instantaneous. But you are probably using InnoDB for a reason, so you
> may be stuck if you want a record count.

I might be way off base here, but couldn't he use the following index:

> >  INDEX protocol_TimeStamp (time_stamp)

Then do something like COUNT(*) WHERE time_stamp > '1979-....';

Would this use the index to resolve it quickly? Or, having written
that and looked at it, will the 30% rule kick in? It probably will,
won't it.. Maybe a FORCE INDEX?

--
Chris