I have a table called web_master which has as a
primary key column called web_id.

When I try to create another table as a select, I get
the following error message [note, that group_id is
indexed]:

mysql> create table sort_test as select * from
web_master where group_id = 69;
 ERROR 1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded; Try
restarting transaction

There aren't any other transactions running in the
database, so I do not understand why there is any lock
wait..

Creating the table, then populating it via inserts
works. ie:

mysql> create table sort_test (id bigint(20));
 Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.17 sec)

 mysql> insert into sort_test
     -> select web_id
     ->   from web_master
     ->  where group_id = 69;
 Query OK, 6698 rows affected (0.22 sec)
 Records: 6698  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

 mysql> commit;
 Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Any thoughts on why I am getting the lock wait
timeout?