Why use root?

How about creating a dummy database (CREATE DATABASE dummy) and a dummy
user that only has rights to access that database and have your init.d
script connect as the user dummy to db dummy?

Much better than leaving MySQL root passwords around in easy to find
places. (I know, I know...)

HTH,

Robert  J Taylor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

gerald_clark wrote:

TK Banks wrote:

The startup script provided with Fedora linux uses the mysqladmin ping command to verify that the server is up after the safe_mysqld command has been issued; however, once I changed the password for the root account, this no longer works: it sits there and tries this command 10 times on one second intervals and finally declares failure for the startup procedure (even though the server is actually up and as happy as can be). I'm sure I could remedy the problem by encoding the mysql root password in the /etc/init.d/mysqld file, but this seems sort of stupid. Should I just nix the ping glop? Or perhaps creating a ping account with no password but no privledges would do the trick?

Perhaps you could create a .my.cnf file for root that contains the password?