JFL wrote:
I need to restore 20 gigabytes of binary logfiles.
What should I do in order to get the job done as quickly as possible?

I am considering this:
mysqlbinlog --database=mydb logfiles | mysql -f

There is a faster way, but it is rather tricky.

4.0 slave can be tricked into thinking that those binary logs are in fact the relay logs that it gathered from the master. So we trick the server into thinking it is a slave of the server that produced them. You just need to pick a server-id that is not the same as the one that produced them. Then if you list the logs in in the relay log info file in the correct order, hand-craft relay-log.info file to point at the first one), then start the slave with skip-slave-start, and then just start the SQL thread manually (SLAVE START SQL_THREAD), it will process them until it is done. Periodically run SHOW SLAVE STATUS to see if it got to the end of the last log.

-- Sasha Pachev Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/