Jose Manuel Islas Romero wrote:

>I start MySQL and it seems to start the server normally
>
> >TrentCioran:/usr/local/mysql TrentCioran$ sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
> >Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
> >040512 21:27:05  mysqld ended

It's not starting normally.  It's starting and dying, that's why it says
mysqld ended.

>but when i try to open the mysql console it sends me the message:
>
> >TrentCioran:/usr/local/mysql TrentCioran$ /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
> >ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> >'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>

>I've been searching for the mysql.sock file but it is missing.

That's because mysqld isn't running.  When you get mysqld running this
problem will go away.

The reason why it's not running should be noted in the error file, which
should be:

/usr/local/mysql/data/hostname.err

This will have a notation where mysqld tried to start and then died.

It seems like lots of people starting mysqld on OS X for the first time
have a permission error on the data directory.  It should be owned by
mysql (the user already exists in both 10.2 and 10.3) and the group
should be mysql.

This problem is error number 13, but other error numbers will be
explained by the perror command:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/perror <errornumber>

Good luck,
Ware