If you don't have a process mysqld running, then mysql isn't running. You may try starting up mysql directly (just type mysqld), rather than through the startup script or through mysqld_safe, since they suppress the error messages. You should then see some error message that may help determine why mysql isn't running.
Also, to access mysql, you should provide user name and password. You won't be able to access it if you don't, unless it's configured that way.
mysql -u username -p

Keep in mind that the username and password are not related to the username and password in the OS. Many people trying to run it on a Mac miss this point.

You may also try running the repair disk permissions from Apple's Disk Utility and then installing MySQL again. In the past there had been privilege issues on certain folders that prevented MySQL from running or installing correctly.

That said, I've been running MySQL on a Mac for quite some time without a problem. So if will run. There are some known issues with running 4.1 on a Mac.