On 14 May 2004, at 4:37 am, Roy Butler wrote:

Jacob,

>> I'd go with Reiser on SuSE.
>
> What about Reiser on Debian?

I'd choose SuSE since Reiser is their default filesystem and they have been an early implementor of Reiser-related patches. If you use Linux kernel 2.4.24 (or later) and the latest 3.6 series of ReiserFS+tools, the Linux distribution you choose shouldn't technically matter. I'm under the impression that Debian isn't bleeding-edge in many respects, perhaps due to its support of so many architectures, so you might have to build all of this yourself (or find someone who has) if you go that route.

Debian is reasonably current if you follow the testing tree, rather than its stable releases. Debian stable is on ReiserFS 3.6.25 for 2.4 kernels, so it's not too out of date.

The testing tree has support for 2.6 kernels too.

Tim