On 14 May 2004, at 1:14 am, Dathan Vance Pattishall wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Zawodny [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 4:03 PM
To: Dathan Vance Pattishall
Cc: 'Tim Cutts'; 'MySQL List'
Subject: Re: InnoDB filesystem

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:51:27PM -0700, Dathan Vance Pattishall wrote:

I think that the problem is that it's *not* a 64 bit OS.  It's just an
Intel 32bit box with > 4GB of memory.  And sine MySQL doesn't do PAE,
it'll never see that extra memory.

Intel box with > 4GB? It is possible with a patch like hugemem in Linux but
4GB should only be used 2^32 = 4GB. - The hugemem patch for instance allows
you to use all 16 GB but at a performance penalty.

I have 168 32-bit machines (IBM HS20 blades) which can take 8GB RAM each, although we don't have them configured with that much. So there are plenty of these machines available.

I tend to agree though, that for MySQL, if you want lots of memory its better to go for a 64-bit platform. We've been using Alphas and Tru64 for MySQL databases for years.

Tim