Are you specifying either the socket or the host/port combination? What
types of error messages are you getting

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Shriver
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 5/10/04 3:24 PM
Subject: authentication problem on non-standard port

I am having problems authenticating to a machine where there are two
database instances running.  The instance which listens on the standard
port allows me to authenticate correctly whereas the instance listening
on the non-standard port only works: if I am on the same box as the
database; or if I use an old user account (which I did not set up and
cannot find out how it was set up).  I have done repeated grant commands

(and they seem to work for the instance listening to the standard port)
both 'on *' (with no database specified) and 'on *.*' (both of which
should give those users global permissions).  Likewise, I redid the
grant commands after connecting to the database on the nonstandard
port.  How do I fix this problem?