Thomas

MOD is a way to get the remainder from a division
problem.  It does not take into account fractions like
we do in real math.  It's more basic and elementary.
Mod of 5 by 2 would be 1.  The answer is 2 remainder
1, thus the MOD is 1.  I myself have never used this
fuction but I'm sure lots of others on the list have
found a use for it.

cheers
--- Thomas Nyman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm a bit perplexed..perhaps its a language
> thing,,but
>
> the MYSQL reference manual says that
>
> MOD
> ..Returns the remainder of N divided by M...
> and gives an example SELECT MOD(234,10)
>                    --> 4
>
> This I do not understand. remainder of N divided by
> M - isn't that
> simply division?
>
> I mean 234 divided by 10 does not equal 4
>
> On my own machine..if I do SELECT MOD(23,6) I would
> expect 3,8333 as the
> result and not 5.
>
> SInce MOD is returning something other than I expect
> there must be
> something I am missing....in other words...what is
> MOD returning??
>
> Thomas
>

> --

=====