Does it make sense to use a transaction just for the row locking properties,
and then not needing to error check?

I have a situation where I have seperate files that are being run very often
in realtime by many different users.  One is calling a list of 12 football
players.  The other is updating specific information about that player at a
given time.  When the update takes place, occasionally the call for the 12
players will only return 11 (presumably it is in the middle of an UPDATE).
So if I set autocommit = 0, begin work, perform the update, and then commit
will I in effect guarantee that the other read will wait until the update is
done before trying to find its 12 players?

I hope I didn't make that too confusing, and I appreciate any help that can
be offered.

Thanks,
Jeremy