A hash is a key value pair

i.e. if you want a value for a unique key (in perl anyway) you can do
this.......

%status = (
                        1       =>      "true",
                        0       =>      "false"
        );

If I have a variable that hold an integer such as
$test = 1....  I can do the following.....

if($status{$test} eq "true") {
        do something
}

I have passed the variable $test as a key to the hash %status, and it
has returned a value for that unique key.

It's very similar in mySQL

I come from a C background and now working extensively in Perl - this is
a very powerful feature.

Hope this helps

Andy

--

perl -e 'print qq^;@) [###]^^qq^z\.MY{eLQ9^'
in:control developer, Telindus, RG27 9HY