Hi all,
I am a MySQL and in fact SQL newbie.
I am trying to write java code that will help me determine a couple of  error
conditions.
I want to be able to find out if, after I have done an insert, if the  values
that I entered are valid. Interestingly, when I entered clearly invalid  non
numeric data into bigint fields, it seemed to not generate an error. So I
guess the first issue is why not, and the second is, is there a way to prevent
the system from accepting an incompatible type. I know all this can be done at
the JDBC level but this is an extra layer of security that would be helpful
in  the app I am writing.
The second issue is similar. How can I find out if a delete request failed
because the key field could not be found?
Generally speaking, is the error handling doc for MySQL kinda weak, or am I
just not looking in the right place? I printed out the error codes, but they
are  not really documented, and dont seem to address my issues.
Hank Williams