From: Robert J Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 12:23 PM
To: Yoed Anis; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Order by price?

Yoed Anis wrote:

>I'm having trouble with this query:
>SELECT
>CONCAT('$',ROUND(($varA*(establishments^2)+$varB*(establishments)+$varC
>),2))
>as price FROM table ORDER BY price

Hint: you've made this a "string" comparison using CONCAT, i.e.,
alphabetical, not numerical, sorting rules apply.

How about

SELECT ROUND(($varA*(establishments^2)+$varB*(establishments)+$varC),2) as
price FROM table ORDER BY price;

Then using a printf/sprintf type formatting statement on the
application/presentation layer to show to the user?

What is the application language y

>A note first. The column "establishments" is an int(10), as you see I
>am taking this number through a formula, and I want the result of this
>formula to be rounded to two decimal places, and to stick a "$" sign in
>front of it so I can easily display it on a table.
>
>However here is the problem, in ASC order I get these results: $110.46
>$173.86
>$208.02
>$22.62
>$22.62
>
>And in DESC order I get these results:
>$90.44
>$79.94
>$50.10
>$48.33
>(with the max result 208 for instance at the 3rd from very bottom, 110 is
at
>very bottom)
>

>Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Yoed

HTH,

Robert Taylor