At 13:23 +0000 5/1/04, shaun thornburgh wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to set the mysql variable lower_case_table_names to 2, however I am having serious difficulties!

I understand I need to do this at the command line but I have tried the following (with many variations) without success:

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld --SET-lower_case_table_names=2;

Where did you get this command from? I hope it's not in the manual, because that's not legal syntax.

The option would be specified like this: --lower_case_table_names=2

Ideally I would like this to be permanet so I have also investagated editing the my.cnf file:

<snip>
4.1.2 `my.cnf' Option Files

MySQL can, since Version 3.22, read default startup options for the server and for clients from option files.

On Windows, MySQL reads default options from the following files:

Filename  Purpose
windows-directory\my.ini  Global options
C:\my.cnf  Global options

windows-directory is the location of your Windows directory.
</snip>

But neither of these files exist on my system. I would be most grateful if someone could show me how to run the command line option or edit the necessary file to make these changes permanent.

If an option file doesn't exist, just create it with a text file editor. Put this in it:

[mysqld]
lower_case_table_names=2

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com