Hi,

Some of our customers have remote offices. I was wondering if it'd be safe to have a DBMS running at their central office, and have our client application running on hosts in the branches connect to it through a VPN via the Net?

What happens if the connection goes south while a branch office was making changes? Does the DBMS just rollbacks changes automatically after a time-out?

Should we set up some kind of replication instead?

Also, are there compeling reasons to go for Firebird instead of MySQL? I don't know enough about the capabilities of each DBMS today to make an educated choice.

Thank you for any tip
Fred.