At 10:39 -0400 5/4/04, Lou Olsten wrote:
This is not a question, rather just some information I wanted to post in case someone else hits it and searches the lists.

I do a lot of straight command line connecting using the mysql.exe client for windows. Aside from my other challenges with getting users set up properly, I ran into another one yesterday where I couldn't connect from my workstation, which was using a 4.0.18 mysql.exe (size=294,980). The error was pretty straightforward:

ERROR 1250: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

When I copied the mysql.exe file from my 4.1.1 alpha installation to my workstation, I could connect fine. The size for the 4.1.1 windows mysql.exe file is 974,992. From my testing so far, I haven't run into any backward-compatibility issues.

Lou

Additional reading:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html