Paul Sue wrote:
Hi,

 I downloaded mysql-3.23.35.0  for AIX 4.3 from bullfreeware.com and as I soon
as I start mysqld, it starts consuming almost all the CPU (hovers around 97%).

Any idea what might be the cause of this??

Paul:

I assume this happens with no or minimal server activity. If yes, the binary you are using is probably not fully compatible with your libraries/kernel. You can either try another binary, or build from source.

If this is some retired AIX server that you are just trying to put to work, and there is no other strong attachment to AIX, it might be more cost effective to dig up an old or not so old x86 machine, put Linux on it, and then install MySQL . My expectation is that PII and above with 128 MB or higher will outperform most older AIX machines. As for the newer, my intuition tells few even multi-processor machines will be able to outdo a uniprocessor AMD 1800+ (those can do 8000 indexed selects of one row per second). If some AIX fan wants to challenge my intuition with a benchmark, you are more than welcome.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/