I am wondering what the best backup strategy is for my database.

The database is used to store a very large number of binary files, ranging from a few K to 20MB's. The database stores thousands of these files. I can not put this data on the file server, it needs to be in the database.

Currently the database is about 1.7GB's and will grow over time to 4GB or higher. I created 20 identical tables to hold the binary data. I was worried about the 4GB/Tables limit, so figured I would spread it out over several tables, also there is no a single point of failure for loosing all my data.

To do nightly backups (I don't need anything more frequent), I copy the whole database directory to another HD on the same server, then the files that changed are rsync'd to another server. One of the reason that I store the data in several tables is so only the tables that changed need to be rsync'd to the other machine. It is not on a local net, so it can take a while to do.

In any given day, only 10 or so binary files are added, so not a lot changes from day to day, but it can be one some days

When I move to 4.1 and start using InnoDB tables (or should I), will the same technique of copying the whole directory and sync'ing only that tables that changed still work?

Is there a better way to be doing this given the huge amount of binary data I have?

I am running MySQL v3.23.58, but will probably be upgrading to 4.1 if it makes sense. This is running on RH9, but will be moved to a FreeBSD server in the near future.

Thanks, Ron