There's a quick install guide on the MySQL site, which has most of what you've listed:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Quick_install.html

The INSTALL-SOURCE doc which comes in the tarball covers the process in great detail.

There may be others, those are two I've used.

Kamal Ahmed wrote:
All,
I am looking for a stepwise installation of mysql-3.23.58 on Redhat 9.
and have a hard time finding it on the MySql web site. Could someone
e-mail me the steps, please.
There should also be a section on installing databases, in order to make
sure that MySql is running and is operational
Thanks,
P.S as a sample, i am providing the following, which is good, but still
not complete.

Get the sourceballs

MySQL
current version: 3.23.58 URL: http://www.mysql.com/downloads/ <http://www.mysql.com/downloads/>
Change into the MySQL source directory as follows;

#cd mysql-4.0.16

Follow this command by typing;

#./configure -prefix=/usr/local/mysql
-localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/data -disable-maintainer-mode
-with-mysqld-user=mysql -enable-large-files-without-debug
#make #make install
MySQL is installed, #/usr/sbin/groupadd mysql #/usr/sbin/useradd -g mysql mysql
#./scripts/mysql_install_db

Then we make a couple minor ownership changes;

# chown -R root:mysql /usr/local/mysql
# chown -R mysql:mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
we use vi to add a line the ld.so.conf file as follows;

#vi /etc/ld.so.conf

And we add the following line;

/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql

#/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe -user=mysql &

#/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password new_password

Kamal Ahmed
Sr. Test Engineer
e-Security, Inc.
Enterprise Security Management