--- "PARTHA DUTTA, BLOOMBERG/ 499 PARK"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all, I would like to find out if anyone has
> implemented an architecture
> where a hardware load balancer is placed in front of
> some MySQL servers in a
> Multi-master replication scheme.  I want to use the
> load balancer more for high
> availability, than for load balancing.  All
> connections to the database server
> would go the mysql server 1. If server1 fails, the
> load balancer should send all
>  connections to server 2, etc. Thanks for any
> insight on any implementation
> gotchas.
>
> Partha Dutta
> Bloomberg, L.P.

This will work, but keep in mind that it isn't 100%
failsafe.  If server1 crashes or fails hard, there is
a possiblity that some records from server1 will not
have replicated to server2.  If you never bring
server1 back up, or its database is damaged and you
have to copy server2 over to server1, then there is a
chance that there will be some lost data.

One way around that is to use a two-phase commit, but
MySQL doesn't support that yet (failsafe replication.)

If your application absolutely can not tolerate any
lost transactions then you will have to devise a
logging scenerio that allows you to playback lost
transactions.

Also keep in mind that if you are using
autoincrementing keys, that your replication could
cause duplicates in a multi-master environment during
a failover when you bring up the failed server.  Plan
for that accordingly.