Hmm, well, I seem to have resolved the problem, and it looks like it was not MySQL's fault. I updated the OS to the current testing release of Debian, which included a C library update. Following a reboot, the code worked perfectly. Looks like this was an Itanium2 C library bug, most likely.

No wonder you were all so quiet!

Having said that, MySQL runs *vastly* better on these Itanium2 machines than on the Alphas that we currently use in production, even though there's very little difference in clock rate and memory between the two systems. I can't wait to try the new memory cluster code on a group of these Itanium2 boxes. :-)

Tim