The (+) indicates an OUTER JOIN.

This should work:

SELECT A1.store_name, SUM(A2.Sales) SALES
FROM Georgraphy A1 LEFT JOIN Store_Information A2
ON A1.store_name = A2.store_name
GROUP BY A1.store_name;

Scott Purcell wrote:

Hello,
I am working through a sql tutorial, and would like to perform this (written for
oracle) outer join using mysql.

SELECT A1.store_name, SUM(A2.Sales) SALES FROM Georgraphy A1, Store_Information A2 WHERE A1.store_name = A2.store_name (+) GROUP BY A1.store_name

I am reading the docs, but do not understand. Could someone please give me a hand with this?

Thanks,
Scott Purcell

--
Mike Hillyer, Technical Writer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

"The Open Source movement has become a major force across the software industry, and MySQL is the world's most popular open source database."
--Fortune Magazine