Steve,

I have had this same problem exept the entire server does not hang, only one thread which experiences a signficiat slowdown. This happens a couple times a week for our 4 servers. I believe this is a thread scheduling issue. The mysql support team suggests against using NPTL. However, I use mysqld-max on redhat linux 9.0 and have found a 10-20% performance difference at HIGH (hundreds of connections) load levels. The support team claims the difference in performance between linux threads and NPTL is never significant. Incidentally I have experinced this same thread starvation issue on redhat as 3.0 amd64 while using Linux threads. Theory is that glic 2.3 is to blame ( redhat 9.0 - > glibc-2.3.2-11.9 , redhat as 3.0 -> glibc-2.3.2-95.6 ). So the version of glibc looks to be the culprit. As I understand it Mysql is working with Redhat to determine the issues with glibc 2.3. I haven't tried the
export line.

Trevor

Steve Meyers wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this bug?

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=868

We've been seeing this problem on several of our servers (see the last comment to the bug). MySQL just hangs occasionally, it happens about 3-4 times per month. We have 13 database servers, so that unfortunately increases our odds.

I just wondered how many other people have seen it, and if the suggested "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5; mysqld_safe &" has worked for anyone. In order to turn that on, I will need to take our site down completely, which is (of course) not desirable.

Thanks!

Steve Meyers