I remember reading about someone inquiring about including the user's
information in each query logged to the binlog. Neither "mysqlbinlog" or
"show binlog events" shows which user performed which changes to the
database (at least for me:4.1.1a-alpha-nt-log / binary distro ) .  Is that
information available somewhere else? I just spent the last hour or so
trying to dig that old thread out of the archives (I have been using Google
and the search page at lists.mysql.com) but I just can't seem to find it.
Could someone please help point me back to that old thread?

May I humbly suggest a startup flag/variable that will permit integrating
the users name _and_ their IP address as metainformation (comments) into
the binlog?  I just reread the online documentation and didn't see a task
of that nature in any of the ToDos. IMO having the userid and IP address in
the binlog would be very useful in disaster analysis. I am not as
interested in what queries they run as much as what data they change but
those two basic pieces of information would go a LONG way to track down who
screwed up the data. (Yes, I DO plan to restrict direct access to the
actual server and have an application handle the majority of the data
requests and updates. For those power users who feel they "must" have
direct data access, I plan on giving them read-only access anyway. The
extra information will help me figure out who did what if things still go
sour.)

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks!
Shawn Green