Greg Willits wrote:
I have two mysql apps running on the same machine (OS X 10.3.3). A mysql 3.23.54 on port 14551, and a mysql 4.0.16 on 3306. Each has a config file specifying the port and a unique socket name in /tmp. They have coexisted just peachy for a very long time.

Now however, w/o any changes to either MySQL3, MySQL4, or the OS, every time I issue a terminal command to one of the MySQL3 bin apps preceded by the usual cd /x/y/z/bin, the commands are being sent to the /usr/local/mysql bin apps on 3306. If I shut mysqld 3306 down (which closes the sock file), then any commands to mysql 14551 gripes that there is no socket file even though the one it should be using is still available.

Removing and reinstalling both mysql's (now I have 4.0.18) does not fix it. Each does in fact create its own sock file in /tmp, and each mysqld server runs just fine. I can manually specify the --socket for the 14551 bin apps and they'll work, but I've used mysql3 and mysql4 side by side since one of the later 4.0 betas and I've never had to specify the socket when launching any of the mysql3 utils.

There has to be some other kind of socket related config file somewhere that has something to do with this? I have no idea what could have changed "all of a sudden" and "on its own."

Greg:

Do not worry about why it stopped working - it was not supposed to anyway, and if it did, it was pure luck :-)

A clean way to solve the problem would be to create small shell scripts called mysql-3 and mysql-4 that will connect to the right instance.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/