Aysun Alay wrote:
Our application needs to support both solaris 8 and solaris 9. I was
wondering if mysql has a backwards compatibility in terms of operating
systems. Can I use mysql-pro-4.0.20-sun-solaris2.9-sparc.tar  file to
install mysql on Solaris 8?

Not sure, but it is usually not too hard to compile the package. For both Solaris 8 and 9, you can get required compilers and tools on the "Companion Software CD" which is available at

http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/

Should you need newer versions of some of the packages (for instance, MySQL 4.1 requires a more recent bison package), get those from

http://www.sunfreeware.com/

I've found it helpful (if not necessary) to perform the following additional steps:

- create symbolic links to the GNU programs (which are installed with a 'g' prefix below /opt/sfw or /usr/sfw) and give those links the regular unix name; for instance, create a directory '/opt/gnulinks' and run
$ cd /opt/gnulinks
$ ln -s /opt/sfw/bin/gls ls
$ ln -s /opt/sfw/bin/gfalse false
$ ln -s /opt/sfw/bin/gecho echo
$ ln -s /usr/sfw/bin/gtar tar
...[same for all required GNU programs]...

- put the directory with the symbolic links pointing to the GNU programs in the first position of your PATH environment variable, e.g.
$ PATH=/opt/gnulinks:$PATH
$ export PATH

Then configure and compile MySQL.

Hope that helps,