On May 25, 2004, at 4:00 AM, Enda McGahern - Ireland wrote:

I have just inherited a ticketing system that uses MySql from an
employee that just left the company and I am a newbie to mysql. I cannot
seem to be able to get into the mysql console to do anything.

I have tried commands such as mysql -q etc and no joy. I get a command
not found when entering the mysql command. I am logged in as root.

mysql is installed on usr/local/mysql.

Is there a way to figure out how it was set up and what the parameters
would be to get into the console. The previous person may have set it up
to log in as mysqladmin or something but how can I find this out.

% cd /usr/local/mysql/bin/
% ./mysql -u root -p
% [Password:] {enter the user password}

"root" is MySQL's root user, not the OS root user. There may be another user you have nm & pw info for.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Connecting-disconnecting.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Default_privileges.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Resetting_permissions.html

-- greg willits