> Hmm, I don't see any changes in ft-related files since 4.0.18 that could
> cause it (there were bugfixes, but they affect only *searching* - that
> is MATCH - and not *updating*).
>
> Can you create a test case ?

Well, I put up a file in the secret folder a few days ago as referenced in a
bug report: http://bugs.mysql.com/?id=3870

There is a select statement that crashes the server found in the log file. I
put the files up and posted the bug from a remote computer and couldn't
write much about it at the time.

The table is fine according to 'check table the_table_name'. The select
crashes it. The select also crashes it in older versions of myslq!! Doing a
repair in the old version and then doing the select in the old version is
OK. That is why I came to the conclusion that the file is corrupt. CHECK
TABLE does not find the corruption, however.

Another note on this: The tables I had the most problems with had FTS
indicies. I can't say that it is more than coincidental just yet. I am not
conclusive that it is a cause and effect relationship at this time.

Even returning to the older versions of mysql is not getting rid of all our
problems (we are seeing extremely high loads on the same stream of queries
as usual). Selectively repairing tables has helped. It may be that it is not
FTS related and we should repair all tables. We are going to try that
tonight.