At 11:02 AM 5/27/2004 -0700, you wrote:
Hi,

I am sure all FreeBSD users are sick and tired of saying this. USE 4.10!!!!
Lots of people blindly follow version numbers but 5.x is a lot different than 4.x in ways I don't yet feel comfortable with using on production machines. Only one of those issues is with benchmark numbers, but that is certainly one of them.

Thank you,

Eric

Eric,

The FreeBSD dev team sure isn't saying this.

We have/had lengthy threads going in FreeBSD-threads and other mailing lists regarding this problem, nobody brought up running 4.x there.
The FreeBSD dev team members basically suggested to run 5.2.x-CURRENT using libpthreads which produced horrible results. We tried
both with kernels configured with _ULE and _4BSD. We tried probably 30 different combinations of OS, MySQL version etc.

Also, Jeremy Zawodny's site (and book, iirc) suggests to use FreeBSD 5.x, although I think there is somewhat of a disclaimer that it is just
what he has heard from others, and not what he has witnessed himself. I'm not saying that is the correct thing to do, I'm just saying
this is the information that is out there on this subject from authoritative figures, and that it should be updated to reflect the truth.

I'll try FreeBSD 4.x later (with LinuxThreads) but I don't see how it will do much better.

- Jeremy