Hi Jeff,

> > ok - I've checked.

> > That's not true. Here's what I got:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE inno1 (
> >   PK_Col    Integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
> >   Child_Col Integer,
> >   PRIMARY KEY (
> >     PK_Col
> >   )
> > ) TYPE=InnoDB ROW_FORMAT=fixed DEFAULT;
> >
> > CREATE INDEX I_Inno1_ChildCol
> >  ON inno1(Child_Col);
> >
> > ALTER TABLE inno1 ADD FOREIGN KEY (Child_Col)
> >   REFERENCES inno1 (PK_Col)
> >   ON DELETE NO ACTION
> >   ON UPDATE NO ACTION;
> >

> > After that, I inserted data:
> > INSERT INTO inno1(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (1, NULL);
> > INSERT INTO inno1(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (2, NULL);
> > INSERT INTO inno1(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (3, 1);
> >

> > Now, can someone explain what the problem with NULLable FKs is?
>
> CREATE TABLE inno2 (
> PK_Col Integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
> Child_Col Integer,
> PRIMARY KEY (PK_Col)
> ) TYPE=InnoDB ;
>
> CREATE INDEX I_Inno2_ChildCol
> ON inno2(Child_Col);
>
> CREATE TABLE inno3 (
> PK_Col Integer NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
> Child_Col Integer,
> PRIMARY KEY (PK_Col)
> ) TYPE=InnoDB ;
>
> ALTER TABLE inno3 ADD FOREIGN KEY (Pk_Col)
> REFERENCES inno2 (Child_Col)
> ON DELETE NO ACTION
> ON UPDATE NO ACTION;
>
> INSERT INTO inno2(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (1, NULL);
> INSERT INTO inno2(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (2, NULL);
> INSERT INTO inno2(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (3, 1);
>
> INSERT INTO inno3(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (1, NULL);
> INSERT INTO inno3(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (2, NULL);
> INSERT INTO inno3(PK_Col, Child_Col) VALUES (3, NULL);
>
> select *
>    from inno2;
>
> The actual way he was doing it was above.. I am going to have look into
this
> more since as you can see, this worked and considering I do not have a id
2
> or 3.. it should have failed.. so something isn't right.. The entire point
> behind foreign keys is for constraints.. Its been awhile since I have done
> foreign keys on mysql...

Indeed, inserting (2, NULL) fails - while it shouldn't. A FK should only be
enforced if there's a value. Not when it's NULL (for the FK columns). This
is true for all other database engines that I know.

How else can you create tables with either a relationship to another table
or no relationship?

IMO, all INSERTs you wrote should succeed.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions