On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:17:37AM -0500, mos wrote:
> As most people already know, MySQL has FullText indexing built into it, so
> why is mysql.com using MnoGoSearch? (There is an icon "Powered by
> MnoGoSearch" on the search page.)
>
> 1) Is there something wrong with MySQL's FullText search for handling a lot
> of data?

Not at all.

> 2) Is MnoGoSearch better?

Well, it does understand HTML, so it is able to index the HTML content
of our sites more intelligently than MySQL's full-text search could.

> 3) Why isn't MySQL using their own Full Text search engine?

We do, just not for the full-text search of our sites. (It is used in
the first set of documentation links that are presented with some
searches, and for the search on http://solutions.mysql.com/.)

Also, mnoGoSearch uses MySQL for its index storage.

Jim Winstead
MySQL AB