Hi there,

I am using a mysql server at the moment which contains 2800 different
databases.

phpmyadmin is really slow listing them, but that's not really a big
deal.

The thing is my view on this set of databases (every database contains
about 20 tables) is it is really bad, because actually there's no real
need of so many databases. In fact, every batch of 20 databases could be
one database only, with more tables (but no the total number of tables
by batch of 20 databases as it is now).

Now my problem is to justify this is a wrong technique. So I have some
questions about it which, I think, could help in determining whether the
server would hugely benefit from such a change or not...

Here are the questions. I hope all of you can answer them all...

- how many databases can a MySQL server 3.23 (let's say on a good
pentium 3, 512MB RAM) handle? or where to find such info...?

- how wrong is creating 20 databases (total 400 tables) when you know
you could create just one (total around 200 tables)?

- what does MySQL handle better? Databases or tables?

- could a slowdown problem causing me to have a "show databases" query
answered in 42.50 seconds (more often being 0.02 sec) be bound to too
many databases?

Any answer is welcome as I am not quite used to MySQL benchmarking or
improvement...

Thanks,
Yannick