LAST_INSERT_ID is connection-specific, not table-specific.  When you say,

  SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() FROM foo;

you are asking for the LAST_INSERT_ID to be repeated once for each row of table foo. This is analogous to

  SELECT NOW() FROM foo;

or

  SELECT 2 FROM foo;

Adding a LIMIT would work, but the simple solution is to leave out the table.

  SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID();

Michael

Eric Absgarten wrote:

Hello,

I have a rather simple straightforward question that I was not able to find in any of the documentation.
I am in the process of writing an application, and I was wondering whether there is any benefit (or penalty) in LIMIT(ing) a LAST_INSERT_ID() query?

i.e.
SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() FROM foo
vs.
SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() FROM foo LIMIT 1

Thanks in advance,
Eric Absgarten