Hello List:

I want to setup two servers (later more servers added) sharing mysql data as
a NFS Server & Client relationship;

Server-A:
----------
RH9, mysql-4.0.20, NFS Master
This server is a DATA server. All data for the entire site is kept on this
server in "/usr/local/mysql/var" which is symbolically linked to "/rad"
folder. "/rad" folder consists of two IDE disks mirrored under RAID1.

Everything is working fine on this server.

Server-B:
---------
RH9, mysql-4.0.20, NFS Client. This server is a MAIL server. I am following
http://www.pipeline.com.au/staff/mbowe/isp/webmail-server.htm to install
various ( qmail, vpopmail, courier-map, qmail-scanner, clam, etc.) mail
server software.

Question:
---------
I want to setup Server-B so that all mysql data lies on and shared from the
DATA (Server-A) server. I know how to create a mount point "/rad" on
server-B. I would like to know how the "/rad" mount point is incorporated as
location of mysql data during the mysql installation on Server-B.

For Example: When I install mysql software on Server-B as follows:

 % cd  /usr/local
% gunzip  <  mysql-4.0.20.tar.gz  | tar -xvf   -
% cd  mysql-version
% ./configure -prefix=/usr/local/mysql
% make
% make install
% scripts/mysql_install_db
% ...

At this point the mysql data is in "/usr/local/mysql/var". What do I need to
do so that the Server-B points to Server-A for all mysql data retrieval
and/or updates. I have to do a full installation of MySQL because other
software on Server-B has dependency on mysql software! If somebody has done
such an installation, please direct me to a solution.

I researched GOOGLE extensively & have read the official mysql documentation
& have not found an answer. It has been a chore to explain this problem. If
my explanation is confusing, please let me know and I will answer your
question. It seems to be very simple, but it is beyond me.

I need help badly.

Thanks in advance.

Kirti