hi

this may be the problem or it may just be a typo!

you are showing

#mysql -u root -psomepassword

which should be
#mysql -u root -p somepassword
(note the space after -p)

the first will not pass the password, which would explain the lack of
privileges.

Otherwise start with skip-grant-tables and reset the root password.

If you do is there a possibility it may have been hacked?

Peter