Hi,
If you plan to use RPM installation, you could encounter some difficulties.

Because RPM overrides the existing one.

To avoid this , you can do a BINARY install with which you can choose the

directories of two MySQL servers.

After finishing to download the MySQL BINARY distribution that you want ,

just decompress it into 2 distinct directories, like :
SERVER 1 : /usr/local/mysql-4.0.x
SERVER 2 : /usr/local/mysql-4.0.y

Note that if you have 2 MySQL servers on the same machine, pay attention
to name some files like socket file, log file, err file, startup scripts
with different names.

Also the my.cnf file will not located in /etc because it becomes server
specific options/configuration file.

You have to place for example the 2 my.cnf files into data directory of each
MySQL server directory :
SERVER 1 : /usr/local/mysql-4.0.x/data/my.cnf
SERVER 2 : /usr/local/mysql-4.0.y/data/my.cnf

Try this workaround , hope this help

Regards

Thierno 6C