I belive ive gotten mySQL installed, but im getting a few errors that I cannot seem to figure out. When I try to test out the database by typing bin/mysqlshow or bin/mysqlshow mysql I get an error that looks like this:

ryneanders01:/mysql# bin/mysqlshowbin/mysqlshow: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

When I try to start up the database with support_files/mysql.server start it seems to happily execute, though no feedback is presented verifying anything has been loaded. The process is not shown on 'top' either. Furthermore when I try to stop it (support_files/mysql.server stop) it gives up waiting after a minute. However, if I go back to support_files/mysql.server start it tells me a process is running - so I know something is going on.

Anyone have any advice or leads to what may be going on? I'm fairly new to Debian and mySQL and the documentation is a bit overwhelming. Thanks in advance!