The manual indicates that a GET_LOCK expires automatically when a new
GET_LOCK is issued. Can someone explain to me how this behaviour could
possibly be the most useful?

I wish to use GET_LOCK in my applications to provide advisory locking on
which tables should be used for certain operations. I therefore, at times
wish to have locks on more than one table for the purpose of a query.

Can I suggest that the implementation of GET_LOCK be changed such that locks
last up until they are released or the client is diconnected instead of also
being released when a new GET_LOCK is issued.

I would think that it be much more useful for a client to be able to hold
multiple locks rather than each lock being released upon request of a new
lock. I can't think when it would be useful to have the current behaviour.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Richard.