I'm trying to force 4.1.2 to use the old short passwords for now during some experimental stages.

The discussion here (specifically the fourth set of bullets):

        http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html

and, this paragraph:

"The Password column must be wide enough to hold long hashes (41 bytes). If the column has not been updated and still has the pre-4.1 width of 16 bytes, the server notices that long hashes cannot fit into it and generates only short hashes when a client performs password-changing operations using PASSWORD(), GRANT, or SET PASSWORD. This is the behavior that occurs if you have upgraded to 4.1 but have not yet run the mysql_fix_privilege_tables script to widen the Password column."

led me to think that I could modify the user table and set the width of the Password column to varchar(16) and based on the narrow column 4.1.2 would always default to creating the old passwords.

However, GRANT statements are creating passwords that start with * so, even though they're chopped off at 16, they're obviously still the new format.

Sidebar: interesting--mysql 4.0 creates host, user, password
columns as binary but 4.1.2 does not?