I saw the same problem with 5.0 alpha and Java/JDBC. The text was Chinese characters in Java; the tables were created with default character set UTF8. Seems only questions marks are stored.

Wondering if far-east characters in UTF8 are support by MySQL's UTF8 support?

-James

From: "Silvio Lopes de Oliveira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unicode characters become question marks
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:39:14 -0700

MySQL Server: 4.1.1 alpha
MySQL Control Center: 0.9.4 beta

I am not sure whether this is a Control Center or MySQL Server problem, but here it goes:

I have a database with MyISAM tables created using character set UTF-8. I have installed support for Chinese on my machine, and using MySQL Control Center I entered some values in Chinese for some varchar fields. I had also changed the app font for Control Center to SimSun, which supports Chinese characters. When I requery the table, the Chinese characters have been changed to question marks. I expected, of course, that the Chinese characters would be displayed.

I tried this to access the data programatically (using an MFC app and ODBC Connector) and it also shows question marks. I'm not sure whether the conversion to question marks occurs when the data is stored into the table, or when the data is retrieved.

I found the following discussion thread debating what seems to be a similar issue, but it was not clear whether to me they ever determined a solution or if it is a bug:

  http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/164067

Here are the values for my character set variables:

+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                    |
+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| character_set_server     | utf8                     |
| character_set_system     | utf8                     |
| character_set_database   | utf8                     |
| character_set_client     | utf8                     |
| character_set_connection | utf8                     |
| character-sets-dir       | C:\mysql\share\charsets/ |
| character_set_results    | utf8                     |

I am starting the MySQL server as follows:

  mysqld --default-character-set=utf8

I need to see the Chinese characters both in Control Center and my MFC app which uses ODBC Connector.

Thanks,
S Lopes