From: Nick Mudge [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 9:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: getting mysql working

Hi,

I am trying to get MsSQL working. I can't get the server to start.

I tried typing in mysql_install_db and got the following response:

  linux:/home/nick # mysql_install_db
  Installing all prepared tables
  040602  5:54:02  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

  PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
  To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
  /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
  /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h linux password 'new-password'
  See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
the /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
able to use the new GRANT command!

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

But this did not start it.  I tried typing in rcmysql start  but that
failed.

I can't get the service started in the first place so I can't add any
passwards to any accounts.

I installed the mysql with the suse 9.1 pro cd.

I am thinking that I should reinstall my mysql.  But I don't know how to
do
that. Can someone please tell me how to fix this or how to reinstall it?

Nick

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Email from OOCL is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If it is not intended
for you, please delete it immediately unread.  The internet cannot guarantee that this
communication is free of viruses, interception or interference and anyone who
communicates with us by email is taken to accept the risks in so doing.  Without
limitation, OOCL and its affiliates accept no liability whatsoever and howsoever
arising in connection with the use of this email.  Under no circumstances shall this
email constitute a binding agreement to carry or for provision of carriage services by
OOCL, which is subject to the availability of carrier's equipment and vessels and the
terms and conditions of OOCL's standard bill of lading which is also available at
http://www.oocl.com.